Back when SEO was relatively new, it was all about directories when acquiring links. Back then it was much easier to trick the search engines with thousands of links from directories all over the web. The search engine optimization industry, not always being the most ethical, had providers trying to manipulate the algorithm. Now in days, Google and other search engines have gotten more complex and it’s not easy to trick them like before. While links are still around half of what Google looks at while indexing sites, not all links are created equal and that goes for directories as well. Since we are wrapping up the first week of the year, it’s important for you to know the best directories for 2021.?
Directories That are Still Relevant?
Some directories have stood the test of time when it comes to the online space. Make sure these are the first on your list to get listed in.
- Google My Business – I know it kind of goes without saying but there still are businesses out there that aren’t listed on Google. If you are trying to rank locally and don’t have a Google my business profile, then you are missing out on a ton of opportunities.?
- Bing – Google is king but Bing still gets some monthly searches that you don’t want to miss out on.?
- BOTW – Best of the web has been around for 25 years and has over 16 million businesses listed in their directory. Why not join the crowd??
- Yelp – If you are supremely confident in what your company offers then there aren’t many better things you could do for your online visibility than getting listed on Yelp. Yelp claims they have 211 million reviews and 35 million mobile app users every month.?
Another great option for any business is to use aggregators to get listed in as many directories as possible. Bright Local reigns supreme in doing this for you.?
Our “Up and Comers”
Although some of these other directories you may have heard of, you may not have known that they also provide great linking opportunities.?
- Nextdoor – Used mostly as a resource for neighborhoods to stay up on the local gossip, it can also be used as a great referral source and business directory.
- Better Business Bureau – The BBB is pretty much the end all be all when it comes to if a business is being ethical. Get you business listed on their site and make sure the A+ rating can be seen.
- Mapquest / Tomtom / Waze – If your business has a brick and mortar, make sure you get listed in these websites and apps that offer directions. They almost always have an enormous amount of trust with Google.?
How Directories Help SEO
At the end of the day, having directories do a few things for your online visibility. They count as a link back to your website. Which is a big part of SEO and they give your business some credibility. The directories above won’t only be the best directories for 2021, but most likely for years to come.